World Academy encourages students to not only excel in their studies in school, but to succeed and thrive academically against any challenger out there. Math Club Coordinator and Middle School teacher, Sri Sankar is pleased to announce the names of students who were recognized for their stellar performances in this year’s AMC 8 math competition, hosted by the Mathematical Association of America (MAA).
The AMC 8 is a 25-question, 40-minute, multiple choice examination in middle school mathematics designed to promote the development of problem-solving skills. Students are tested on their ability to apply classroom-learned skills to problem-solving challenges in a stress-free environment, encouraging positive attitudes towards analytical thinking and mathematics that can assist in future careers.
The World Academy Math Team was started by Ms. Sankar and is a club that meets in the mornings before school from 7:30 to 8:00 for three days a week and trains for and competes in a variety of mathematics competitions. World Academy students have consistently placed in high ranks in many of the math competitions, contests which require students to be avid problem solvers and require the use of logic, creativity, and reasoning skills.
Founder and Head of School, Kathy Nelson explains, “In today’s technology-driven world, it’s our responsibility to be sure our students have a high proficiency in math as a foundation for their future education and long-term success. To see our students succeed speaks to their abilities to assess and respond to complex problems in innovative and intelligent ways. We are immensely proud of these students’ performances.”
The following are the results for the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students:
- 1st place: Gold - Declan Muir - Distinguished Honor Roll - top 1% of all test takers Nationally
- 2nd place: Silver - Mia Karlsson & Samuel Dunlay - Honor Roll - top 5% of all test takers Nationally
- 4th place: Bronze - Aya Eyceoz - Honor Roll - top 5% of all test takers Nationally
- 5th place: Aastha Patel - Honor Roll - top 5% of all test takers Nationally
- 6th place: Ian Hagberg - Honor Roll - top 5% of all test takers Nationally
The following are the results for the 4th and 5th grade students:
- 1st place: Gold - Hrushikesh Sankar & Sanvi Garikipati
- 3rd place: Silver - Ekaterina Checkina
- 4th place: Bronze - Perry Mourtzinos
- 5th place: Nicholas Rushton
- 6th place: Aditya Patel, Chad Billingsley
The MAA website (www.maa.org) will announce the names of all students who make their Distinguished Honor Roll list, the Honor Roll list, and details on grade level percentiles, etc. The MAA School Merit Roll is awarded to schools with a team score between 50 and 65, and the School Honor Roll is awarded to schools with the team score of 66 or greater. World Academy's Math Club Team proudly achieved the School Honor Roll this year.
Congratulations to all student competitors!