Middle School Teacher / Enrichment Camp Coordinator
Sarah Bishop has been teaching at World Academy for five years. She is a graduate of The College of Saint Rose with a Bachelor’s Degree in English and of New York University, with a Master’s Degree in Educational Theatre. Sarah currently holds a New Hampshire teaching credential in English, and she has previously held a provisional certification from New York State in English. She is currently working on Level One certification for teaching dyslexic students through the Wilson Reading System Program.
Miss Bishop has lived in various places including Virginia Beach and St. Martin, but now resides in Hollis with her family and tuxedo cat Bella. Sarah enjoys spending time with family and friends, as well as cooking, writing play scripts and poetry, as well as competing in ballroom dance showcases. She is also always up for a great cup of coffee and a good book.
Miss Bishop believes that each and every child should have the benefit to receive an education not only focusing on the "needed subjects", but how to be the wonderful and unique individuals they are with confidence while always receiving genuine appreciation for their contributions and values. It is Sarah’s belief that, "One must be creative and determined in order to provide students with the least restrictive and successful learning environment. In order to do so, I have made use of a unique methodology that includes lecture, dramatic, musical, kinesthetic, and observation/discussion lessons. These lessons included the use of dramatic role play, journal writing, music incorporation, and visual art expression. Use of these methods has allowed my students to experience alternatives to the “ordinary”. It is my personal philosophy that students are served best when presented with a collaborative learning environment using both traditional styles as well as those outside of the norm. The result is a larger desire to participate in their education and succeed. Students should be encouraged to ‘be who they are’ and be provided with a safe and welcoming learning environment to help them to do so. Whether it is a different type of classroom or a more creative and student led opportunity in a subject, all students need to see and understand that this is their education and sense of self is valued and appreciated."
Miss Bishop joined the World Academy community in 2013.
- Master’s of Arts in Educational Theatre 7-12, NYU
- Bachelor of Arts in English 7-12, The College of Saint Rose
- NH State Certified Teacher in English (5-12)
- NY State Certified Teacher in English (7-12)
- 2013-Current - Middle School Teacher ELA/SS, World Academy
- 2008-2013 - Adjunct Professor of Humanities at Schenectady, County Community College
- 2006-2008 - Substitute Teacher, Goff Middle School and Shenendehowa Central Schools
- 2002-2004 - Reading and Writing Tutor, America Reads Program
- 2001-2002 - Substitute Teaching, Shenendehowa Central School
- 2000-2001 - Student Teaching, Goff Middle School and Shenendehowa Central High School